Thursday, October 7, 2010

The beginning of my Steampunk Library dream...

I spent a couple of hours wandering around our local antique megamall yesterday.  It's rather sad that almost every booth was sporting a % off sign, some of them as high as 75%.  I guess business hasn't been too hot this year.  As a shopper though, I was able to get a few awesome deals! 
I'm sure you've heard of the new design trend called "Steampunk" by now.  If you haven't heard of it, you've still probably seen it, mostly in movies.  Steampunk is the marriage of Victorian Romance and steam powered technology... think Wild, Wild West, or The Golden Compass.  I've always loved the way that Hollywood has managed to achieve this look, with lots of romantic Victorian touches and mysterious brass mechanisims, usually in a library or laboratory setting.  I've decided I want to attempt the "Steampunk" look in a corner of my living room.  Since I adore old books, it will be my "Steampunk Library" corner.  With this notion in mind, these are the treasures I picked up yesterday.
Globes were the first items on my list to look for, and I was lucky enough to find two!  Now, I'm not in a postion to go for actual Victorian items for this look, but I should be able to do a reasonable Vintage version, don't you think?


 I found a 12" and an 8" globe.  Neither is terribly old, or special, but they are just old and shabby enough to satisfy my need for vintage! 
I just love the colors and graphics on them, and the soft gleam of metal, not real brass, but close enough.  I figure I can always upgrade to something fancier, if I ever get rich!

Old bottles are pretty easy to come by, and the price was right on these beauties.  I especially like the one with the old, partial label still attached!

This old Woodco mirror has a nice Victorian look, with it's ruffled edges and soft gold paint.  It's got a free standing back on it, like a picture frame, making it even more versatile.  This is just a start, and I plan on taking this project nice and slow.  My biggest challenge right now, is finding the right shelving for my Steampunk Library Corner.  Wish me luck, and I'll keep you all posted on my progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment