Tuesday, August 17, 2010

~Some fun vintage goodies~

I was so excited the day I ran across these Childcraft books at a Salvation Army.
I think I paid 99 cents each for them.  We had the entire set in a bookcase with encyclopedia, dictionaries, and other reference books when I was a child.  They
were there for our use for school reports and projects.  It was the big orange
books with the fanciful illustrations that I was drawn to, especially the one on top
of the stack.  Volume 3 is "Folk and Fairy Tales".  Inside you will find all the 
classice fairy tales, like "Jack and the Beanstalk" and "Little Red Riding Hood",
but also lesser known tales like "Prince Wicked and the Grateful Animals" and
"The Lad Who Went to the North Wind."  The fanciful pictures are like dear old friends!
 
The framed print to the left of the books is my all time favorite. 
"The Bookworm" by Karl Spitzweg illustrates my love of books perfectly.  
The funny old man perched precariously on top of a ladder, trying to hold
four books at once and read one at the same time just delights me.  I imagine
he is a librarian, or book seller who is supposed to be working, but is irresistably
drawn into the pages of a book.  I can totally relate!
I usually stick with American made collectables, but I just couldn't resist this
little black and white dog planter, stamped "Japan" on the bottom.  The blue
bulldog planter is a vintage product of the U.S.A., and Daffy Duck is about
as American as apple pie!  The orange and black rooster figurine is so classic.  Someday I'll have a complete set of the depressionware bridge set, but for now
I'll just enjoy my little amber club shaped dish.  And who doesn't love a jaunty
harmonica tune?  I don't play, but maybe someday I'll learn...

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Kathy!
    I love those books and vases...everything!
    kudzu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Belated Birthday Kathy! Glad to know you've started a blog...I'll keep checking in and don't forget to post your projects on the GJ site too!

    ~Marlene

    ReplyDelete