Saturday, March 5, 2011

It's in the jar!

Hello Friends! 
I finally found a bit of time to blog.
Today I am showcasing some of my "collection jars".  As an avid collector of all things vintage, I find myself with scads of awesome items, and no good way to display it.  Too many items on a shelf tends to look cluttered, and collects dust, to boot.  I see lots of cloches on these blogs, and I love them, but... I find them very difficult to find, and when I do, they are just too pricey for this skinflint!  My solution of choice is to use big vintage jars.
It all started with this lovely covered jar.  I needed a place to stash some vintage crocheting thread and various needlework tools.  This jar proved to be the perfect solution. 
 
I just love the simple detailing combined with the humble thread, worn wood and vintage graphics.

Speaking of worn wood, I also had quite a few wooden items that needed a home.  I just adore old wood that has been shaped to create useful tools.  The fact that this simple biscuit jar is lacking it's lid made it perfect to display my longer collectibles.

  The possibilites are endless, and our ancestors made full use of wood to make items like these: spoons, pestles, darning eggs, handles on utensils.  I even have a wonderful old pipe ashtray that was made of turned wood.
If you are an avid Thrifter like me, then you are aware that there literally tons of old glass vases to be had for very little money in the thrift stores.  This particular vase turned out to be the perfect place to display some of my old lace, china, perfume bottles and vintage faux pearls.

I just love that it is so easy to change this display as the spirit moves me.  My collection of old handmade lace can be rotated easily now, so they can all be admired in their turn.  The possiblities for display items are endless!  Vintage jewelery and watches, old buttons, Christmas ornaments, photographs, spools of thread and vintage marbles...  Stay tuned for more "collection jars".  I just picked up a big, lidded biscuit jar that I have yet to fill...


No comments:

Post a Comment